danfast
A Danby Group Company

Tel: 01482 599 333

Fax: 01482 599 345

e-mail: sales@danfast.co.uk

English Street - Kingston upon Hull - HU3 2DZ - United Kingdom

B. DANBY & CO. LTD.

Established in 1891 by Benjamin Danby

Our heritage as an independent Plumbers’ Merchant is unique and one we are proud of.  We started our business in Hull in Trippett Street and Charlotte Street.  In 1909 the business became incorporated as a Private Limited Company.  The business thrived and remained on the same site for a period of 38 years.

As trade increased, new premises at Dock Street in Hull, adjacent to Queen’s Dock Quayside, were acquired.  Over a period of several years, the Danby business made further and extensive acquisitions in George Street, a main city centre thoroughfare parallel to Dock Street.

The years that followed saw the Danby business go from strength to strength.  By the mid-1960s the Company was trading throughout many regions of Yorkshire and Lincolnshire, from Whitby in the north to Skegness and Boston in the south.

In 1966 a depot was opened in Grimsby to service a growing number of customers on the South Bank.  A purpose-built depot was built three years later at Wilton Road Industrial Estate in Humberston.

During the 1960s growth of the Company’s central heating business was phenomenal and additional premises were rented in Hull in Caroline Street and Princes Dock Side.  In 1966 the Danby business continued to expand rapidly throughout the Yorkshire and Lincolnshire region.  Further developments included the opening of a central heating depot at Boothferry Road, Hessle in 1967.

The 1970s saw further growth for Danby with the acquisition of Marshall and Gray (Yorkshire) Ltd., a Building Merchant based in Yeadon near Leeds.  This was a strategic move to service customers in the West Riding of Yorkshire area.

In 1989 Danby purchased the Cheltenham-based Linfast Holdings for the wholly-owned subsidiary acquisition of Linfast Industrial and Leisure, located in English Street, Hull.  Their extensive purpose-built premises included a bonded Warehouse.  Linfast Industrial and Leisure was renamed Danfast Industrial and Leisure.  The business was compatible with Danby’s trading interests and customers, particularly in the Leisure Industry.  In 1991 we celebrated our centenary – 100 years in business.  The Danfast acquisition, in addition to the adjacent premises in English Street, meant that Danby & Co. Ltd. Owns 64,000 sq. ft. of property on this site.

Today B. Danby & Co. Ltd. continues its success story, operating from six sites through Hull and the Yorkshire area.

Our strategy for the future is to maintain our independence and fulfil the needs of the Plumbers’ Merchants Industry as a reliable, reputable and customer-focussed company.